[squeak-dev] [Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] About ~= and ~~

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 18:40:23 UTC 2011

2011/10/18 Alexander Lazarević <laza at blobworks.com>:

> 2011/10/13 Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
>>
>> To me, "==" just seems ... simpler?
>
> If one presumes that most got early on introduced to = as a symbol for equality (and ≠ for unequality and not ~), this shouldn't be too surprising?
>
> Alex

Well, is ~ interpretation ubiquitous ? I rather learned ¬ NOT SIGN.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_not

And if ≠ is translated /= in ASCII (FORTRAN 95 & ADA)
Then by analogy ~= could ambiguously mean ≃ ASYMPOTICALLY EQUAL TO and
~~ mean ≈ ALMOST EQUAL TO unless it is ≅ APPROXIMATELY EQUAL TO .

Nicolas