[Vm-dev] Re: About Freetype plugin and BYTES_PER_WORD

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Sep 1 14:32:54 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 04:00:41PM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> I think using
> 	^self
> 		cCode: 'BYTES_PER_WORD'
> 		inSmalltalk: [self subclassResponsibility "InterpreterSimulator"]
>
> instead of
>

> 	^BytesPerWord
>
> is a mistake.

It's not a mistake. See the trunk VMMaker, this is part of the
fundamental mechanism by which common sources can be generated for
32/64 bit target platforms.

> Because i just look at uses of BytesPerWord pool var in sources,
> and there are 482 references to it.
> And in generated code it produces just 'BytesPerWord' for it, but not
> 'BYTES_PER_WORD'

The oscog branch does not contain the support for generating common
sources for 32/64 bit platforms. Possibly some minimal support
could be added to cover the BytesPerWord issue.

I am away until Monday and I can't offer any better suggestion
right now, but I'll look at it when I return.