[Vm-dev] Headless Image: a Riddle

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 12:35:41 UTC 2011

On 21 September 2011 14:22, Mircea Filip Lungu <mircea.lungu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is a quick riddle for you:
>
> The Context:
> - os: debian
> - vm: cog
> - image: the image from the pier site, in which I updated to the
> latest version of the pier packages. Pier runs on port 8087.
>
> If I run the following line:
>
> ~/coglinux/bin/squeak x.image
>
> the image starts with no error and port 8087 is open.
>
> If I run the following line:
>
> ~/coglinux/bin/squeak -nodisplay -nosound x.image
>
> the image just blocks and the port 8087 is not open.
>
> do you have any idea what could be the reason? I tried with all the
> possible parameter combinations: (-headless, -vm-display-none)

If pier image is pharo based, which starting from version 1.3
introducing a logic around headless mode.
It could be that something wrong there.
But actually, it was introduced to prevent the situations as you
describing (just hanging and doing nothing),
so i cannot tell, what exactly may be wrong there. But most probably
it is something wrong with startup code,
which might rely on having UI, which is not there in headless mode.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.