[Vm-dev] [Pharo-project] jenkins cog - slow monticello on osx

Tudor Girba tudor at tudorgirba.com
Thu Sep 22 17:32:17 UTC 2011

Hi,

I looked a bit into the slowness of the OS X Jenkins Cog VM with Monticello. The problem exists and it is reproducible.

I performed the following experiments using the following script:

Time millisecondsToRun:
		[ 1 to: 100 do: [:x |
			| window |
			window := MCWorkingCopyBrowser new show.
			window delete ] ]

I ran it on the same image using the following vms (on Mac OS X Lion):
- Jenkins VM from 31.08.2011
- Cog VM r2489

I ran the scenario twice with two different setups:

1. I placed the image in an empty folder:

Cog VM 2389: 4808 ms
Jenkins VM: 7345 ms

2. I places the image in a folder that already had a large package-cache with 7400 mcz files:
Cog VM: 4867 ms
Jenkins VM: 	 50754 ms

So:
- even if there is no package cache, the Jenkins VM seems to perform 1.5 times slower
- when there is a package-cache, it becomes hardly unusable.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."