[Vm-dev] [Pharo-project] jenkins cog - slow monticello on osx

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 17:59:04 UTC 2011

On 22 September 2011 19:32, Tudor Girba <tudor at tudorgirba.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I looked a bit into the slowness of the OS X Jenkins Cog VM with Monticello. The problem exists and it is reproducible.
>
> I performed the following experiments using the following script:
>
> Time millisecondsToRun:
>                [ 1 to: 100 do: [:x |
>                        | window |
>                        window := MCWorkingCopyBrowser new show.
>                        window delete ] ]
>
> I ran it on the same image using the following vms (on Mac OS X Lion):
> - Jenkins VM from 31.08.2011
> - Cog VM r2489
>
> I ran the scenario twice with two different setups:
>
> 1. I placed the image in an empty folder:
>
> Cog VM 2389: 4808 ms
> Jenkins VM: 7345 ms
>
> 2. I places the image in a folder that already had a large package-cache with 7400 mcz files:
> Cog VM: 4867 ms
> Jenkins VM:      50754 ms
>

> So:
> - even if there is no package cache, the Jenkins VM seems to perform 1.5 times slower
> - when there is a package-cache, it becomes hardly unusable.

Thanks, Tudor for sticking with it :)

so, your measurements telling that its actually could be related more
to filesystem interaction(s)
rather than to network.

we need to ask an experts (Esteban and John) , what are difference
between cocoa and carbon versions
in file handling, that may cause such big slowdown.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.