[Vm-dev] Bytecode set (was Ubuntu unit issues)

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Mon Apr 16 16:20:38 UTC 2012

On 2012-04-16, at 8:14 AM, Jeremy Kajikawa wrote:

> I am somewhat dogmatically minded about technical details,  so I am
> unlikely to wade through buckets of documentation about Smalltalk as a
> language and how to use it if it is not answering the question about
> what I am looking up.

I'm confused. You want to implement a Smalltalk interpreter, but you're not interested in the details of the language? Perhaps you should tell us what your overall goal is. That way we can provide more useful information.

As for documentation of the bytecode set, you may find the Blue Book useful. It's the canonical description of how Smalltalk works, including the interpreter. Squeak is a descendant of this implementation. The section on the interpreter is here:

http://www.mirandabanda.org/bluebook/bluebook_chapter28.html#StackBytecodes28

Hope this helps,

Colin

PS. Since this has nothing to do with Ubuntu, I've changed the subject to something more appropriate