[Vm-dev] How does Time>millisecondClockValue get a resolution of 1 millisecond?

Louis LaBrunda Lou at Keystone-Software.com
Wed Aug 8 20:12:25 UTC 2012

Hi VM Guys,

How does Squeak's Time>millisecondClockValue get a resolution of 1
millisecond?  It is primitive: 135.  I thought it was based upon an OS
function that kept a millisecond clock from when the OS was booted like in
my case for Windows GetTickCount.  The resolution of the GetTickCount
function is limited to the resolution of the system timer, which is
typically in the range of 10 milliseconds to 16 milliseconds.

On my machine with VA Smalltalk the resolution seems to be about 15
milliseconds.  Yet, in Squeak it is 1 millisecond.  So it would seem the
Squeak VM is using something else.

Lou