[Vm-dev] 3 Bugs in LargeInteger primitives

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 11:50:25 UTC 2012

Originally, C was very close to machine instructions and was conceived
as a generic assembler.
But it's more and more distant and becoming abstract.

Unfortunately, the abstract arithmetic model is completely broken with
UB: it's un-reliable.
So what does this kind of abstraction serves?
Really, it makes me wonder...

If portable C code becomes both long and inefficient, I guess that
cost of maintaining assembler for some part that we know are broken is
an option indeed.

I also see that Andreas had a hard time with slang, some intermediate
operations being cast to uint32 instead of int64, he finally had to
use many cCode: hacks... Going both thru slang and C intermediate
sounds like too much work and too few safety for implementation basic
arithmetic (obviously we didn't and we can't easily model broken C
behaviour in Slang, it's too complex !).

Nicolas