[Vm-dev] How to addGCRoot: ? help requested

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 00:00:52 UTC 2012

On 24 December 2012 00:05, Nicolas Cellier

> 2012/12/23 Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com>:
>>
>> On 23 December 2012 22:25, Nicolas Cellier
>> <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ah OK, thanks, I get it...
>>> Two questions remain:
>>>
>>> 1) how to access addGCroot: from within a SmartSyntaxInterpreterPlugin ?
>>
>> interpreterProxy addGCroot: ...
>>

> Hmm, in NB you used a different strategy...
> First, you defined a NBInterpreterProxy to perform a simpleCall to
> addGCRoot() after registering this function in class method
> #proxyFunctionsData unless it is from #CogProxyFunctionsData (why
> two?)

Because first implementation of NB was before Cog , it worked on
Squeak/Stack VM:)
And NBInterpreterProxy is exactly interface which VM provides for plugins:
 a table of function pointers.

> Then, no plugin calls addGCRoot: directly.

> Instead you defined a primAddGCRoot: in order to use it from within the image.

This method i a primitive, which code makes a call to that function.
There's no magic, no "plugin" , nothing. Just pure function call.
Everything implemented in smalltalk.

> That's a bit too much for a helpful simple example.
>
> I fail to see how this easily transpose to a vanilla VMMaker and it's
> native InterpreterProxy.

Directly :)

there's two things:
 - registering object(s) at given name (at:put:)
 - generating code to read an object at run time (emitOopAt:generator:)

 i using only single root object -  just a simple array.
and NBExtraRootsRegistry maintaining that array size/elements,
by giving a more convenient interface for outside
(at:/at:put:/emitOopAt:generator:)

Like that, i can register any object under known name and access it
later at run time.

For instance , #emitFetchClass:generator: is used for generating code to
create instances of any class i wanna use in primitive(s)
- (#createInstanceOf:size:), as well as for testing whether
incoming argument(s) is correct/valid by doing class membership test.
(verifyClassOf: is: generator: ).

I know it can be hard to see through generated code spahetti.
But the logic there is very simple :)

> I think I'll have to hack InterpreterProxy to give access to
> addGCRoot: unless there is more magic I missed in the code
> generator...

You don't need to hack anything , because it is already there.
Just write
interpeterProxy addGCRoot:
in slang code and you done.

--