[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] is there a way to avoid all the #tryNamedPrimitive:with: * in ProtoObject

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 17:40:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 3:13 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 2:43 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
>> marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> sorry...here is the attached.
>>>

>> OK. What you've done will work.  Some criticism: Since the method is new
>> the flushCache should be unneeded.
>>

> True.
>

>>  I think either copying a template method (e.g. stored in a class
>> variable) and  changing its argument count,
>>

> Let's see if I understand. I have attaached a new version that supposes to
> do this. I tested and seems to work.
> Is it better?  If you agree, I can put a nice comment and commit.
>

>> or creating a method directly (look at the generate: method) would be
>> much faster.  Speed can be important in the debugger.
>>

> I am not sure if I understood. Maybe you mean something along the lines of:
>
> MethodNode new
> selector: #tryNamedPrimitive:arg2:
> arguments: (OrderedCollection with: (TempVariableNode new name: 'arg1'
> index: 0 type: 2 scope: 0; nowHasDef; nowHasRef; beMethodArg; yourself)
> with: (TempVariableNode new name: 'arg1' index: 0 type: 2 scope: 0;
> nowHasDef; nowHasRef; beMethodArg; yourself))
> precedence: 3
> temporaries: #()
> block: BlockNode new
> encoder: (EncoderForV3PlusClosures new
> instVarNamed: 'class' put: UndefinedObject; yourself)
> primitive: 117
>
> and then send #generate:

No, I meant create the method directly as does the body of generate:using:.
 e.g. if the method looks like

tryNamedPrimitiveWith: a with: b ... with: n
     <primitive: 'function to be filled in later' module: 'module to be
filled in later'>
    ^ContextPart primitiveFailToken

then it looks something like

tempMethodForNamedPrimitive: functionName inModule: moduleName numArgs:
nArgs

literals := { { moduleName. functionName. 0. 0. }.
  Smalltalk bindingOf: #ContextPart.
  #primitiveFailToken.
  self additionalMethodStateForNamedPrimitiveWithNArgs: nArgs.
  Smalltalk bindingOf: #Object }.
bytes := #( 17 "push lit var 1 (ContextPart)" 210 "send lit 2 with 0 args
(primitiveFailToken)" 124 "return top" ).
method := aCompiledMethodClass
newBytes: bytes size
trailerBytes: CompiledMethodTrailer empty
nArgs: nargs
nTemps: nargs
nStack: 0
nLits: literals size
primitive: 117.
1 to: literals size do: [:i | method literalAt: i put: (literals at: i)].
  0 to: bytes size - 1 do: [:i| method byteAt: method initialPC + i put:
(bytes at: i + 1)].
  ^method

But since the bytecodes don't change with the argument count it is even
faster to create the above, copy it and smash the selector and argument
count into the copy.  MethodWrappers4.2 has an example of this kind of
thing.

> but I get lost to get this working...the previous solution seems easier.

Do you want to build Trabants or BMWs?  Documentation helps.