[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] CogVM driver vs executable

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 20:06:39 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 7:34 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <bschwab at anest.ufl.edu>wrote:

> Sig,
>
> Short answer: I ****think***** the answer is to look for the #moduleName
> as-given.  Screen against absolute paths if you want; Ubuntu won't care.
>  Ubuntu demands that libraries be registered (using sudo+dlconfig) to
> create a map that anyone can then read, either implicitly by loading the
> library or explicitly using dlconfig.  It's suble, clever, and correct.

Its not that easy.  Finding the correct libc first requires that one know
what the libc name *is*.  linux has f***ed this up over the years, e.g.
with "ld scripts" where /lib/libc.so.N was a piece of text one had to parse
(!!), with hacking in the thread-local-storage version of pthreads via
/lib/tls and /usr/lib/tls.  And now Ubuntu has put another layer in the
process with /etc/ld.config.  The "linux" VM is supposed to run in all of
these contexts.  So how does the VM/image combination map the nick-names of
modules such as the C library and the OpenGL library into names that the
module loading machinery can use reliably?

P.S.  This discussion belongs on vm-dev...

--
best,
Eliot