[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] New VMs at http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2559/

Camillo Bruni camillobruni at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 17:10:59 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-18, at 18:56, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Camillo Bruni <camillobruni at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I assume they don't include the FilePlugin changes?
>> Because then they will only work under Pharo 1.4 and before!
>>

> Which specific changes Camilo?  If they're not in I'll integrate them asap.

In Pharo 2.0 we make heavy use of
	<primitive: 'primitiveDirectoryEntry' module: 'FilePlugin'>

since it provides file access in O(1) instead of O(n^2/4) by
 	<primitive: 'primitiveDirectoryLookup' module: 'FilePlugin'

however the primitive was completely broken under mac, so we fixed the following
- proper alias resolving
- proper directory lookup

plus we added another entry in the basic array returned from the primitives which
allows us to access the posix permissions (mac / linux / win.

the changes are spread over several commits:
	https://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed/blobs/history/fdd5230337112db9273ddc3991e598b322a8f1d4/platforms/iOS/vm/Common/Classes/sqSqueakFileDirectoryInterface.m

The VM will still work with older images, however Pharo 2.0 requires a VM with
these primitives properly implemented, since we don't use FileDirectory anymore
and the new FileSystem only uses #primitiveDirectoryEntry.

best
cami