[Vm-dev] Shrinking windows when Scratch is run on 4.4.7-2357 VM, Ubuntu 12.04 64bit

Amos Blanton amos at scratch.mit.edu
Tue Jun 5 18:08:01 UTC 2012

On ubuntu 12.04 64 bit, any change in size of Scratch's window causes it to
turn black and slowly shrink down to a thin strip. Quite an interesting bug!

Here's a video:
http://youtu.be/bpTX7O3NDy4

Fullscreen (via the window button - not Scratch's presentation mode) makes
the window fullscreen, but there is no repaint - the window remains black
until it is changed back into window mode (by clicking the rectangle). This
issue also happens on my 32 bit test OS.

Here's the command I used to launch, in case it's helpful:
/usr/lib/squeak/4.4.7-2357/squeakvm -encoding UTF-8 -vm-display-x11 -xshm
-plugins /usr/lib/scratch/plugins/:/usr/lib/squeak/4.4.7-2357/
-vm-sound-pulse /usr/share/scratch/Scratch.image

Any idea what might have changed in the VM that could cause these
issues? Could this be related to changes made for compiz compatibility?

-Amos