[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Plan/discussion/communication around new object format

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 19:46:34 UTC 2012

On 13 June 2012 20:50, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 1:36 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Some extra ideas.
>>
>> 1. Avoiding extra header for big sized objects.
>> I not sure about this, but still ..
>>
>> according to Eliot's design:
>> 8: slot size (255 => extra header word with large size)
>>
>> What if we extend size to 16 bits (so in total it will be 65536 slots)
>

> This simply doesn't make sense within the overall context of the header (i.e. relatively large identityHash the same size as the class index).  A large size field increases the size of the header for all objects.  An extra size word for large objects only increases the size (probably by 8 bytes) for large objects.  But that's a very small percentage overhead of at most 8 / (256 * 4), or 0.8%.  Few objects are large.  The bulk of objects are smaller than 256 slots.  Its a no-brainer; have a small size field and overflow only for large objects.

I did not measured in terms of space, but in terms of not having
additional word and had to deal with it.
Can you please fill the gaps in your design and explain how you
perform heap walking.
A current design reserves two least significant bits to indicate
whether object header is 1, 2 or 3 words..
But from your proposed format, a least significant bits are reserved
for slots size field, which can be arbitrary value. so how you
implement heap walking and determine whether the first word of a next
object is its header or it it's size field.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.