[Vm-dev] [unix[ Large file support (was: StandardFileStream size limit?)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jun 14 13:59:10 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 02:59:12PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 2012-06-14, at 14:29, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> > I just double checked, and it turns out that it is not true that the standard
> > interpreter VM works. The interpreter VM works for large files when compiled as
> > a 64-bit executable, and it works when compiled as a 32-bit executable your
> > instructions for the LFS flags are followed. But the officially distributed
> > 32-bit interpreter VM does not have LFS support enabled, and if you open a file
> > list on very large file, the file size will not be displayed correctly.
> >
> > Dave
>
> Ah, okay. So I guess it would be a Good Idea to enable LFS in the interpreter too, right? There shouldn't be bad side effects.

Presumably yes. Although I don't know if there might be some performance
tradeoffs involved in using 64 bit file addresses. But my guess would be
that Linux uses 32-bit file addresses in 32-bit mode to accomodate older
programs that assume 32-bit file references. Maybe Eliot can comment?

> - Bert -
>
> PS: Don't give me too much credit. These are not "my" instructions, I just found and posted them :)

Well, *I* certainly would not have figured it out any time soon ;-)