[Vm-dev] [Pharo-project] Plan/discussion/communication around new object format

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 19:24:44 UTC 2012

> Why conflict? I am not conflicting person. I just trying to make my
> point. And i won't kill anyone for it :)

Indeed we are discussing.

>> The players, the ones with actual power, have already decided on an immutability bit. This discussion of today is sort of a sideshow.
>>
>> Owing to Andreas's high level of knowledge, it appears, by reading this mailing list, that the decision has something to do with him.
>>
>> I think that's like saying if Steph had once offered an opinion on a mailing list about how Croquet should have been designed that it would have been implemented.
>>
>> Not likely.
>>

> That's sad.. So let us wait couple more decades, before someone else
> will do the next step,
> and then crowd will start crying "we want to have the same, we want to
> have the same".
>

>> Bottom line:
>>
>> Steph wants an immutability bit.

But I like to listen and I can even agree that what I thought was wrong. And when I read the arguments of igor
in fact I have the impression that he is right. (see the mail with A and B) this is true that paying all the time the cost
for finding and fixing bugs looks strange :)
I would prefer to have object properties because we could fix a lot of issues (morphic…) with such a features.

>> Eliot has made up his mind. And he won't demo something he already implemented in Visual Works.
>>
>> Why is Igor arguing against something his boss wants?

Paying somebody does not mean that you are right :).

> Perhaps because my boss cares to listen before rejecting, and don't
> use a dictator's rule to
> force me doing things, just because he thinks this is right thing to do? :)

:)

>> Enjoy the immutability bit. It's on its way.
>>

> I knew that there's little sense to discuss these things.
> I just thought/had a hope that this discussion is not about
> "let's discuss how to repeat what Eliot did in VW, to make Cog a twin
> brother of it",
> but about a step further from that, because there's always one.
> Yeah, maybe i having too idealistic view on that. Exchanging ideas,
> listen to each other,
> and finally work together to make something real.
> No. That's fallacy. We all should listen to what boss says and do what
> he says. End of story.
>
> Yeah, let us keep making bikes of any color, as long as they black.

:)
Igor you convinced me that immutability bit is not as exciting as it seems and that
having a better compiler and a simpler contract with the VM is much better.

You see you made me think and learn.
Thanks.