[Vm-dev] CompiledMethod header bits index 29 (flag bit)

Stefan Marr smalltalk at stefan-marr.de
Tue Mar 6 22:42:19 UTC 2012

Hi:

What is the intention of the flag bit in the CompiledMethod header?

Just interested what it is good for, or was used for originally.
More specifically, I would like to verify that I can just reuse it without having to worry about to many incompatibilities.

My understanding so far is that it is only used to highlight methods in a browser.

Thanks
Stefan

PS: the split encoding of the primitive code seems also to be a beautiful artifact of an old legacy ;)

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab