[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Smalltalk as embedded platform/language?

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 01:04:24 UTC 2012

On 7 March 2012 01:51, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It is very long post, so i decided to put it on my blog.
>>
>> http://computeradventures.wordpress.com/
>>
>> i more or less realizing the scale of changes in order to achieve it,
>> but i also wonder why we do not pay attention to this aspect..
>> maybe i miss something, maybe we don't need it at all. or maybe
>> there's less painful alternatives...
>

> My main task this year at Cadence is to make Newspeak embeddable.  So I will have cycles to work on this :)  I've done it before with VisualWorks, although it never made production.  I'd *like* to use this as cover for working on the new object representation too, but that's proving harder to sell.

yeah, it is hard to sell things which "should be done yesterday",
especially when there's other things which should be done yesterday.

I just hoping that they do not make same mistake(s) of the past of
pursuing the project without developing the user base, because it is
doomed to fail.
A Squeak and Pharo could provide such user base, as well as serve as a
source of developers and even improvements. I'd like to know if there
are understanding of this point.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.