[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Finally, jenkins were able to build win32 VM.

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 18:28:38 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 7:44 AM, Tudor Girba <tudor at tudorgirba.com> wrote:

> Strange. I tried to reproduce the problem, but following the same path
> worked fine the second time.

Such GC bugs are extremely sensitive to exactly the sequence of mutations
in the heap. So the time in between mouse clicks or keyboard presses, or
even the length of delays or the date and time can change the form of the
heap.   The only way I know to reproduce this kind of bug reliably is to
write a doit that causes the system to crash without user intervention.
 You can either supply the doit in a file to the VM at startup or (more
convenient for those debugging it) write a doit that starts with a
snapshot, e.g.

    Smalltalk saveAs.
    Crasher new crash

--