[Vm-dev] limiting compiler warnings...

John McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Mar 21 02:20:31 UTC 2012

Ok, void is not int
10 years back (ok nov 29/30 2002 )
I was irritated about  int foo()  {  }  where foo says it returns int,
but never returns anything...
Attached is an ancient change set to fix that.

However what we found was that things like the all interface where you
would set the primitive failure code would "assume" setting the
primitive failure flag returned the failure flag.
Er it does not and the complier silently digests the stupidity...
Fixing issues like that higher up perhaps, ok if the api returns the
flag, return it? Or return nil or whatever the compiler helpfully
does scratching it's head about the confused messages...

Did once watch a "C" fellow pop a blood vessel when he saw the 1,200
warning msgs go by... Get over I said...

Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com