[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Do we have the new primitive?? [WAS] Re: IdentitySet but using #hash rather than #identityHash ?

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sat May 5 08:58:25 UTC 2012

On Fri, 4 May 2012, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Sorry, its hard to devise what are primitive we're talking about?
>
> if i understood correctly you need a primitive which answers an index
> of element in
> array, if found, and nil or 0 otherwise?

This is what a primitive (basically a linear search) should do if the only
goal is to support LargeIdentityDictionary (and LargeIdentitySet). But
there were ideas to use the same primitive for pointer tracing, which adds
the following "extensions":
- return the index of the first slot (including indexable and non
indexable ones) which points to the argument
- otherwise return -1 if the class of the receiver is the argument
- otherwise return 0
It is trivial to rewrite the current #pointsTo: primitive in the
interpreter this way, not sure about Cog.

Btw I'm not sure if it's worth using the same primitive for both purposes.
I'd probably separate the two if possible.

Also, to make the linear search primitive more general, I'd add two more
optional arguments: one for startIndex and one for endIndex.

Levente