[Vm-dev] Help/advice tracking down a squeak-vm regression

Alex Bradbury asb at asbradbury.org
Tue May 8 12:36:44 UTC 2012

On 8 May 2012 13:21, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> As far as I know, Scratch images have not worked on standard Squeak VMs
> for a number of years, and Scratch has always relied on shipping its
> own VM. In addition to fundamental changes in the VM itself that have
> taken place in recent years, I believe that the Scratch version of the
> VM also includes a couple of plugins (add-in functionality) that are
> required for Scratch but not included in Squeak.
>
> I think I see one source of confusion here. I just read the link at
> http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Source_Code and find the following statement:

As I say, the Scratch.image does work out of the box on squeak-vm 4.0
(yes, you do need to compile the squeak plugins for scratch). See e.g.
Miriam's armel Scratch packages here http://www.miriamruiz.es/scratch/
which just rely on the distribution's squeak-vm. Would it be correct
to say the fact that Scratch worked on squeak-vm 4.0 was a happy
coincidence, and so the view from the perspective of squeak-vm is that
Scratch should either bundle its own VM, or update the image for
compatibility with the latest squeak-vm?

(CCing in Amos Blanton who participated in the Debian bug report.
Amos, the thread starts here
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2012-May/010551.html)

Thanks,

Alex