[Vm-dev] Help/advice tracking down a squeak-vm regression

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri May 11 17:43:37 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 6:46 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> I just checked. Most, if not all of the problems, come from Scratch's use
> of numbered primitives. They were deprecated in favor of named primitives.
>
> IMHO it would be reasonably simple to re-instate these primitives in the
> VM. Right now they are simply mapped to primitiveFail. This would get us
> back the ability to run many old images, unmodified.

Alas I've used a few of these for Cog:

 #(#(161 #primitiveSetIdentityHash)
    #(169 #primitiveNotIdentical)
    #(175 #primitiveBehaviorHash)
    #(176 #primitiveMaxIdentityHash)
    #(185 #primitiveExitCriticalSection)
    #(213 #primitiveContextXray)
    #(214 #primitiveVoidVMState)
    #(215 #primitiveVoidVMStateForMethod)
    #(218 #primitiveDoNamedPrimitiveWithArgs)
    #(240 #primitiveUTCMicrosecondClock)
    #(241 #primitiveLocalMicrosecondClock)
    #(242 #primitiveSignalAtUTCMicroseconds)
    #(243 #primitiveUpdateTimezone))

I think your change set is the way to go.

--
best,
Eliot