[Vm-dev] VM Maker: ImageFormat-dtl.14.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Nov 1 19:56:10 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 06:46:46PM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:

> > + ----- Method: CogImageFileHeader>>desiredNumStackPages: (in category 'accessing') -----
> > + desiredNumStackPages: anObject
> > +
> > +       desiredNumStackPages := anObject!
>
> Here it's more obvious from the selector name that anObject is some
> kind of numeric value, presumably an Integer?

You are quite right. I just used the automatic "create inst var accessors"
because I did not feel like typing them all in myself ;)

Point well taken, I'll fix it. Thanks.

> I have similar comments about the other argument names, but I'll
> condense my replies as this: I often - especially here, where I am
> nearly completely ignorant about all things VM-ish - wonder what on
> earth some setter is supposed to take. I rely heavily on the
> aExpectedType or someThings naming conventions in trying to understand
> foreign code.

No need for VM expertise, this is just a little utility to validate and
display some data from a disk file. But it may be instructive to see
what sorts of things get saved in the header in order to let the VM
know how to set things up when it starts the image again.