[Vm-dev] [unix] Unrecognized opcode in FFI on PowerPC SPE

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Nov 25 17:35:25 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 05:25:03PM +0100, Roland Stigge wrote:

> On 25/11/12 17:03, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > To summarize my understanding of this issue (see below for background):
> > [...]
> > - The right way to fix the build problem in the platforms sources would be
> > to modify platforms/unix/plugins/SqueakFFIPrims/config.cmake to disable
> > the FFI plugin for powerpcspe at configure time. This is probably easy to
> > do, although I do not have a way to try it myself.
>
> If you have a proposal, feel free to contact me so I can test.

Hi Roland,

If you have access to a powerpcspe platform, could you please run the
unix/cmake/config.guess script and let us know the exact output when running
on powerpcspe? This information is used to enable or disable the various FFI
sources according to platform. I doubt that any of the Squeak VM developers
have access to a powerpcspe box, but we can probably figure out what to do
based on the config.guess output.

You may also be able to make a patch directly in the cmake configuration
file unix/plugins/SqueakFFIPrims/config.cmake based on whatever you find
from the config.guess output. The config.cmake file is written in cmake
script, but it is fairly readable even if you don't know cmake. If you
come up with something that works, please send a copy of the config.cmake.

Thanks a lot,