[Vm-dev] Issue 99 in cog: Link LZ4 Compression

Camillo Bruni camillobruni at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 15:47:46 UTC 2012

On 2012-10-12, at 15:02, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:21:33AM +0000, cog at googlecode.com wrote:

>> Owner: camillob... at gmail.com
>> Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium
>>
>> New issue 99 by camillob... at gmail.com: Link  LZ4 Compression
>> http://code.google.com/p/cog/issues/detail?id=99
>>
>> We should build our VM with lz4 support:
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/lz4/
>>
>> Ideally we will compress all internal unused/static data.
>> Another application would be to compress all the fuel-ized data as well.
>
> I do not understand what this means. Is it a request for someone to
> write a plugin?
Link cog with the lz4 as a first step to write bindings with FFI/NativeBoost.

> What is "internal unused/static data"?
I was referring to image-side data, sorry my bad ;) But basically everything
that is not needed directly in the image could be serialized and compressed.

Plus by having a super-fast compression library at hand decompression would
essentially be a NOP.