[Vm-dev] Changing my mailing list subscription

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Sep 5 22:54:08 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 04:20:07PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 2012-09-05, at 04:31, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> > Are the cog tracker emails helpful, or too much noise? As vm-dev list
> > admin, I turned them on based on a request to do so, but if it is too
> > much information, I'll turn it back off. The cog issue tracker is open to
> > everyone, so there is no real need to provide an automated feed to vm-dev
> > if it is causing too much traffic.
> >
> > Opinions?
>

> I very much like code diffs sent to the mailing list to keep everyone informed what's going on. Bug tracker traffic usually is more noisy. E.g. for Etoys we have two lists - the developer list which also gets code commit diffs, and a "notify" list which gets bug tracker updates and non-code commits (translated strings mostly). As one of the Etoys "core" developers I am subscribed to both lists, of course. So here on vm-dev, if the traffic turns out to be too much, we could create a vm-notify list. But for now I'd give it a try, at least for a couple of weeks.

Several people indicated that they like the updates a lot, and nobody
seems strongly against. Let's keep them going.

> It would be nice of course if the work on those tickets went back into the official VMs. So far the work going on in the git repositories has been more or less invisible. I don't think I have seen patches contributed back to the master repository at squeakvm.org?

With respect to the platform sources, there were some trunk/Cross updates
contributed by Andreas and Eliot some time ago, but aside from that
nothing so far as I am aware. There is no current activity around merging
or otherwise reconciling the trunk and oscog branches.

Patches for the VMMaker branches are easier to keep in sync, with
updates currently being made in both trunk and oscog branches. There
has been some progress in merging and aligning the branches, and in
most cases a VMMaker patch in the oscog branch can easily be applied
to trunk and vice versa. The process is getting somewhat easier as
VMMaker trunk is being refactored to better align with oscog (for
example, common interpreter primitives in InterpreterPrimitives for
both Cog and interpreter VM).