[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] No GUI on MacOSX 10.5.8 using Cocoa VM

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 10:03:24 UTC 2012

On 26 September 2012 05:13, Yanni Chiu <yanni at rogers.com> wrote:
> On 25/09/12 11:33 AM, Yanni Chiu wrote:
>>

>> So any ideas?
>

> I tried to build the CogVM.
> - search for build instructions, blog post, etc.
> - almost give up in frustration before discovering the process noted below
> :)
> - download the tar ball from:
>
> https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Cog/job/Cog-VM/Architecture=32,OS=mac/
> - find and install cmake
> - already had a C compiler installed
> - the HOWTOBUILD file said:
>   cd build
>   cmake .
>   make
> - the build path is hard coded so:

yes, this is an unavoidable outcome of being able to specify custom
paths by developer for
sources/build directories.. they are written into directories.cmake file.
Initially all paths there was relative, but since user can specify own
(absolute) custom paths, there is no way
how it can keep working using relative paths.

You can edit this file, or you can just run an image placed in ./image
subdirectory
and rerun cmake files generation on you machine, so paths will be
fixed automagically.

>   % mkdir -p Users/hudson/jenkins/workspace/Cog-VM/Architecture/32/OS/mac/
>   % mv ~/src
> Users/hudson/jenkins/workspace/Cog-VM/Architecture/32/OS/mac/cog
>   # where ~/src is the un-tar'ed tar ball from above
> - run cmake and make again (sometimes had to remove CMakeCache.txt file)
> - build fails at:
> ====
> [ 77%] Building CXX object
> CMakeFiles/CogVM.dir/Users/hudson/jenkins/workspace/Cog-VM/Architecture/32/OS/mac/cog/platforms/iOS/vm/Common/Classes/sqSqueakScreenAndWindow.m.o
> In file included from
> /Users/hudson/jenkins/workspace/Cog-VM/Architecture/32/OS/mac/cog/platforms/iOS/vm/Common/Classes/sqSqueakScreenAndWindow.m:44:
> /Users/hudson/jenkins/workspace/Cog-VM/Architecture/32/OS/mac/cog/platforms/iOS/vm/OSX/SqueakOSXAppDelegate.h:46:
> error: cannot find protocol declaration for ‘NSApplicationDelegate’
> make[2]: ***
> [CMakeFiles/CogVM.dir/Users/hudson/jenkins/workspace/Cog-VM/Architecture/32/OS/mac/cog/platforms/iOS/vm/Common/Classes/sqSqueakScreenAndWindow.m.o]
> Error 1
> make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/CogVM.dir/all] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> ====
> - the culprit is the line:
> @interface SqueakOSXAppDelegate : sqSqueakAppDelegate
> <NSApplicationDelegate>
> - web search for NSApplicationDelegate
> - find Apple dev page that says:
>   NSApplicationDelegate - Available in OS X v10.6 and later.
>
> So, is there an important reason to use NSApplicationDelegate? IIUC, it
> results in the VM requiring OSX 10.6 or higher, which means my 10.5.8 will
> never work with CogVM's built this way.

is there a reason why you cannot upgrade your OS?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.