[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] No GUI on MacOSX 10.5.8 using Cocoa VM

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Wed Sep 26 23:26:21 UTC 2012

On 26/09/12 11:07 AM, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> I'll try a bit more to get it to work on 10.5.8, now that I can build a VM.

Okay, got it to work!

Three changes:

1. SqueakOSXAppDelegate.h - use NSObject instead ofNSApplicationDelegate

2. sqSqueakOSXScreenAndWindow.h - use NSObject instead of NSWindowDelegate

3. SqueakOSXAppDelegate.m - use CoreGraphics instead of OpenGL

//#ifndef USE_CORE_GRAPHICS
//#  import "sqSqueakOSXOpenGLView.h"
//#  define ContentViewClass sqSqueakOSXOpenGLView
//#else
#  import "sqSqueakOSXCGView.h"
#  define ContentViewClass sqSqueakOSXCGView
//#endif

====

Along the way, I found:

   Issue 5650: OneClick 1.4 can't be launched on MacOSX Mac Air 10.5.8

While I agree that support for old OS releases should have a reasonable
limit, I don't buy 10.5 dropped when 10.8 is around the corner is the
right limit. My machine is circa 2009, just three years or so. Apple may
have good reason to want to move the user/developer base off of 10.5,
because of hardware (pad/phone) and UI native widget changes. In the
Squeak/Pharo case, we just need a single window to draw in - that should
hardly obsolete a three year old computer.

I'll add this thread to the issue report (5650).