[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker.oscog-eem.281.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Apr 5 00:19:18 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 01:25:10PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 3:17 AM, Nicolas Cellier <
> nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Yes, I always wanted to ask what oops signed-ness was good for?
> > IMO, they could simply be declared usqInt.
> >

> +10 raisedTo: SmallInteger maxVal.  But the milk is already spilt :)
>
> I'm glad you said that.  I'm reminded of House of Cards.  "You might think
> so but I couldn't possibly comment." ;)
>
> It might be worth-while trying to make this change and fixing the very few
> places where signedness is important (the SmalInteger arithmetic
> primitives).

IMO an object pointer should be declared sqOop to clearly distinguish
it from some something that is intended to be used as an integer. And
a (32- or 64-bit) location in the object memory should have its own type
declaration that would just coincidentally be the same size as a sqOop
in the current implementations. And maybe there should be one more type
definition to represent the 32-bit words in an indexable object.