[Vm-dev] Cog stack VM on ARM?

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 14:41:15 UTC 2013

I'm running on a Rasp Pi-B. The interpreter VM currently leaves some stuff
to be desired on this device. I know that Tim has been working to improve
BitBlt's perf in the interpreter. I'm interested in seeing if I can milk a
bit of rocket sauce from the stack orientation and generation scavenging GC
while he's doing that.

A few questions:

- Does the stack VM depend on anything that isn't ARM-happy right now?

- Does the Linux limitation around multiple thread prioritization apply to
the stack VM?

- Where should I get sources for a current stack VM?

Sorry if I've asked these questions before! I can be a bit of a
scatterbrain sometimes, and I burn way too many cycles on "is this what I
should be doing right now?" Sometimes I have to trace the circle a few
times to figure out where I am in it.

Thanks in advance for any advice that's offered.

--
Casey Ransberger