[Vm-dev] Prebuilt 64-bit VM on Linux?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Apr 10 22:46:54 UTC 2013

On 10.04.2013, at 15:40, Stephan Eggermont <stephan at stack.nl> wrote:

> On Apr 10, 2013, at 23:43 , Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>> Well, you only ever hear the complaints from Linux users. That's because almost nobody *actually* needs 64 bits yet, but Linux forces it onto unsuspecting users anyway.
>
> Yes. It's comparable to a mobile phone. Nearly nobody needs one, but they are pretty nice to have.
> New machines come with more memory, and being able to use it would be nice.

Common misconception, so you should be forgiven for that. Although, here on vm-dev you should know better. It's not the Squeak Newbies list ;-)

The so-called "64 bit VM" still uses 32 bit OOPs, so you do not get more memory. For that you would need a 64 bit image, which is indeed useful, but a completely separate discussion. This is *not* the same issue as "I cannot run Squeak on my 64 bit Linux".

- Bert -