[Vm-dev] Prebuilt 64-bit VM on Linux?

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 07:11:17 UTC 2013

On 11 April 2013 01:12, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 03:06:41PM -0700, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>> > As others have pointed out, an interpreter VM compiled for 64-bit will
>> > work fine, though not as fast as Cog. However, recent Pharo images will
>> > no longer run on a standard interpreter, so you cannot run a Pharo 2.0
>> > image on a 64-bit VM.
>>

>> Really? What did change in Pharo to make it incompatible?
>>

> I don't know. I've asked a couple of times ...

i think it is about image format, since Pharo adopted one, introduced by Eliot
(6505 or 6504 .. don't remember one) .
And squeak VM does not supports that format.. but if i remember it was
changed lately
and you added pieces to be able to read new format..
If that's true, then i don't see other reasons why it shouldn't work.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.