[Vm-dev] Prebuilt 64-bit VM on Linux?

Hernán Morales Durand hernan.morales at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 05:48:38 UTC 2013

El 10/04/2013 18:34, Igor Stasenko escribió:

> On 10 April 2013 23:11, Hernán Morales Durand <hernan.morales at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I have a 64-bit CentOS server and I want a to measure the peak memory usage with valgrind for a script. For that I need a 64-VM (with a 32-bit Pharo image).
>> I have tried with http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2714/coglinux-13.13.2714.tgz but file reports: "squeak: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, not stripped"
>>
>> Is there any precompiled linux 64-bit binary available?
>>

> Welcome to the club "I want 64-bit VM". :)

Thanks Igor, such an honor to be here :)

Today I have generated a CogVM under GNU/Linux CentOS 6.3. In the
meantime I've fixed a lot of deprecated FileDirectory references to the
new FileSystem API in the VMMaker source (I could upload the changes is
someone is interested).

So I did:

CogOnCentOS64Config generateWithSources.

Then generated the vmVersionInfo.h from the script extract-commit-info.sh

and finally

cd build
cmake .
make

everything was generated successfully. But when going to results
subdirectory
[root at mvs results]# file *
CogVM:                      ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux
2.6.18, not stripped
libB3DAcceleratorPlugin.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, not stripped
libInternetConfigPlugin.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, not stripped
vm-display-null:            ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, not stripped
vm-display-X11:             ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, not stripped
vm-sound-ALSA:              ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, not stripped
vm-sound-null:              ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, not stripped

The generated VM is 32-bit! It seems I have missed something. Should I
remove the m32 compiler flags for generating a 64-bit VM?

Cheers,

Hernán