[Vm-dev] Prebuilt 64-bit VM on Linux?

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 09:31:01 UTC 2013

Uh? I'm not sure that will work.
The Cog cannot be compiled in 64bits. The JIT will not work and probably not just that but a lot of other issues.

Having a 32bits vm running in a 64bits machine is trivial, but having a 64bits vm with a 32bits image is also an important problem to solve: you need to fix all your address, we tried that with Guille –(bah, he tried while I was pushing him to do it :) and it demonstrated non easy at all.

Yeah, we want a 64bits VM, but I think the path is:

- compile the stackvm
- systemtrace a 64bits image
- have a NB-64 (no point on having a 64 vm who cannot communicate with the outside world
- convince Eliot of port the JIT to 64 bits :)

said so... good luck and please let us now if you success.  Nowadays a 64bits VM is more and more important.

Esteban