[Vm-dev] Heartbeat & Linux

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Apr 18 12:23:13 UTC 2013

I think that Eliot has described the issue in some detail either on
this list, or on his blog http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/. Sorry
I don't have any links handy, but reading through the blog is time
well spent in any case :)

I think you are dealing with a fundamental issue in the pthreads
implementation(s) on Linux, so don't be surprised if it's not just
a simple matter of fixing a bug. The pthreads implementation is more
or less grafted onto the original Unix process model, and operating
systems tend to vary as to whether they support pthreads fully, or
for that matter whether they support a thread model at all.

Dave