[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] Smalltalk in a C World

phil at highoctane.be phil at highoctane.be
Mon Dec 9 21:45:29 UTC 2013

Now, moving forward, what would be required to have an interpreter embedded
in C, even if this means having another image with a special API and the
whole enchilada?

At least a working prototype.

I have looked at the "Porting the VM" document and the part about headless
(which is now done differently).

What comes to my mind is to define a specific neutral C platform that would
be able to execute basic bytecode.

>From videos of Ben, I saw SystemTracer (or SystemTracer2) recreating a very
tiny image making some noise to prove it was working.

Could it be possible to target this kind of tiny image running inside a C
program through a base interpreter? This would avoid having to deal with
the whole primitives and plugins at the beginning.

Phil