[Vm-dev] [squeak-dev] VM 4.4 build nastinesses - part 1 of probably many

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Feb 13 01:44:16 UTC 2013

Now I'm trying to build HostWindowPlugin and there is a type clash that didn't used to be there.

The old (ie 3.9-ish) version of the header file in Cross has 'dispBits' (as used in primitiveShowHostWindowRect()) declared as unsigned *. The new 4.4 version has it as unsigned char *.

The generated host plugin code wants it as usqInt *, although it deliberately coerces the arg from the stack to unsigned *, exactly as the ancient version does.

Since squeakvm.org seems to be dead right now, does anyone recollect a particular reason for a change, let alone how a C compiler would let it through with the clash? I always thought the wonder of strong static typing was supposed to be that you couldn't get a way with such 'mistakes' ?

tim
If you think C++ is not overly complicated, just what is a protected abstract virtual base pure virtual private destructor and when was the last time you needed one? -- Tom Cargin