[Vm-dev] [squeak-dev] VM 4.4 build nastinesses - part 1 of probably many

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Feb 13 21:27:04 UTC 2013

On to MiscPrimitivesPlugin - one of the ugly ones that gather strings from random bits of code that are kinda-sorta slang, mangles them, runs them through a set of filters that are not well integrated into the rest of the codegen stuff and spits out what we hope will work. SoundCodecPrims (sigh, what a bad name for a plugin derived from the ADPCMCodecPlugin class) and SoundGenerationPlugin are the two others.

Some changes between 4.0-ish and no have resulted in a test of the prim args for 'isBytes()' - a good idea. But there appears to be no definition for isBytes. I'd expect it to be in the list of Proxy Functions provided by VMPluginCodeGenerator>emitCHeaderForPrimitivesOn: but no see'um.

Since a missing function is a pretty serious error to a simple minded linker I'm puzzled how the plugin could be made. Mmmmm, maybe other platforms dynamic linking systems connect it directly to the implementation in sqVirtualMachine.c ? RISC OS is fussier than that, to my frequent cost.

tim
All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.