VM 4.4 build niceness (was: Re: [Vm-dev] [squeak-dev] VM 4.4 build nastinesses - part 1 of probably many)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Feb 15 05:30:44 UTC 2013

On 14-02-2013, at 10:36 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org> wrote:

> One issue we had was that the BitBlt code in the Scratch image was
> using numbered primitives, but the newer VMs don't support them.  If
> you edit them in the image to use the named primitives, it *might* do
> better.

There were near 100 obsolete numbered prim calls needing fixing. Once done, it seems to run quite nicely on a 4.4 VM. A bit slowly on a PI but we are talking about a machine with  ~5% of the memory bandwidth of a big desktop machine.

I have a PacMan game running  right now at a  whopping 2fps :-) I can sort of keep up with pacman at that speed. It does appear to cause some memory leakage though, which is interesting. No idea where or why as yet. Memory leaks are much more exciting on a machine without virtual memory...

tim
A flash of light, a cloud of dust, and...  What was the question?