[Vm-dev] function signatures

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Feb 15 20:33:24 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 09:23:00PM +0100, Noah Evans wrote:

> On the subject of warnings, is it possible (or are you already
> starting) to add some sort of escape analysis to VMMaker? The compiler
> is going ape about functions with no returns and others with returns
> that are unreachable. I'm happy to do it if people are interested.
>
> Noah

I think Eliot has done a good deal of work to correct issues like this
in the Cog branch, so it's likely that we would see significantly fewer
of these issues in the code generated by VMMaker in the oscog branch.
Aside from that, I do not know of anyone doing doing the kind of analysis
you describe.

I would be very interested in knowing about unreachable returns. The
functions with no returns are less interesting, because I suspect that
Eliot has already fixed the underlying code generator issues. In other
words, as merging of oscog and trunk VMMaker proceeds, I would expect
that much of this will get cleaned up along the way.

Thanks,
Dave