VM 4.4 build niceness (was: Re: [Vm-dev] [squeak-dev] VM 4.4 build nastinesses - part 1 of probably many)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Feb 15 22:15:43 UTC 2013

On 14-02-2013, at 9:45 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org> wrote:

>> I have a PacMan game running  right now at a  whopping 2fps :-) I can sort of keep up with pacman at that speed. It does appear to cause some memory leakage though, which is interesting. No idea where or why as yet. Memory leaks are much more exciting on a machine without virtual memory...
>
> It's running on X, right?  IIRC (sorry for doing this only from
> memory), there are some malloc()/free() going in the event handling
> logic (the part it receives X events.  (Another speculation, which is
> probably wrong…)

Oh my goodness no. I avoid X whenever possible. This is on a Real Manly Operating System - RISC OS! No virtual memory to rescue you from excessive holding on to unneeded objects.

PacMan ran all on its own overnight so I don't think routine operations there are causing any problems but as soon as I started scrolling around the Scratch scripts pane things got nasty. Of course, it's such fun debugging this stuff with the morphic stepping and the halt not neccessarily stopping the right process and so on.

tim
Strange OpCodes: HAL: Murder Operator