[Vm-dev] debugging the garbage collector

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Feb 16 00:56:19 UTC 2013

On 15-02-2013, at 4:01 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Right.  But the change in signature won't break anything because those
> return values are not used.  Right?

If a function is implemented as void foo() would there be any realistic chance that a C compiler would make it return any faintly reliable value?  I'd hope not but maybe there is some traditional result stuck in there. If there *isn't* then anyone that tried to rely upon an incorrect declaration giving them a result should surely get some very odd responses. I suppose on an ARM APCS-C compliant compiler you'd get whatever was in the R0 register at the end of the called code.

I guess a serious sed-warrior could work magic to scan all the code to find any places where something called via interpreterProxy-> seemed to be expected to provide a result. Not me; I can spell sed on a good day and that's about it.

tim
Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers.