[Vm-dev] Generated sources for trunk in SVN (was: VM Maker: VMMaker-tpr.300.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Feb 16 01:44:12 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 08:09:17PM -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:27:15PM +0000, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
> >
> > tim Rowledge uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
> > http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker/VMMaker-tpr.300.mcz
> >

> Yay! Welcome back tpr.
>
> I updated the generated sources in SVN trunk/src accordingly.

A note regarding the generated sources:

Ian suggested that I should start updating the VMMaker generated sources
in trunk/src to keep it up to date with VMMaker versions, and I've been
doing that, albeit not as diligently as I should. This provides a snapshot
of current slang-generated code that should be reasonably in sync with the
trunk/platforms code at any point in time.

The generated sources are stored in the same directory structure that Eliot
uses in the Cog branch, so the idea is to move to that directory structure
for all the various build systems. All Cog VM and CMakeVMMaker (Pharo) builds
already use this structure, and the idea is to move to this for the unix VM
and hopefully also win32, mac, and RISCOS. That means that selection of
plugins to build, and whether the plugins are compiled internal or external,
is entirely the responsibility of the build system (not the VMMaker code
generation from VMMakerTool).

As an interim step, trunk VMMaker has a hidden feature to tell it to
generate the flat directory structure:

   VMMaker useSinglePluginsDirectory: true

And to restore it to the old directory structure (which is still in use for
trunk):

  VMMaker useSinglePluginsDirectory: false.

Over time the expectation is that we all move to the new structure with
build systems updated accordingly.