[Vm-dev] Socket aid and advice request

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Feb 21 02:03:22 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:06:21AM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 20-02-2013, at 9:59 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>

> > On 2013-02-20, at 00:36, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> >

> >> The socket plugin has been somewhat extended since the 4.0 days and I'm having some? fun?
>
> >> [snip]
> >
> > The old plugin should Just Work. The image tests for support of the new prims and falls back onto the old stuff.
>
> Well that's good. I'm hoping for a more practical route to the future; relying on backward compatibility is ok for a while but it would be nice to get as much as possible working with the newer stuff.

Failing the new primitives should be perfectly OK, and I see that you
just committed the update to do that.

Ian did the IPv6 support a number of years back, and it was used in
Etoys for some time before it worked its way into the Squeak image.
There are some problems with using this on Windows related to very
slow resolver performance. I don't fully understand the issues, but
they are enough of a problem that we made "new network support" a
preference in Squeak, and have it turned off for release images.

To see how the IPv6 support works, it's best to use a unix or OS X
box with Squeak, and turn on the "Enable IPv6 and new network support"
(category "general" in the preferences browser).

As a practical matter, just failing the new primitives is acceptable
and is not likely to cause problems for RISC OS users in the forseeable
future.