[Vm-dev] Socket aid and advice request

John McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Feb 21 02:56:34 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 9:03 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:06:21AM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
>>

>> On 20-02-2013, at 9:59 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>>

>> > On 2013-02-20, at 00:36, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>> >
> There are some problems with using this on Windows related to very
> slow resolver performance. I don't fully understand the issues, but
> they are enough of a problem that we made "new network support" a
> preference in Squeak, and have it turned off for release images.

There was some problems with resolving the local host name & IP under
unxi/linux/osx/ios
as it would get an array of ipv4 & ipv6 names and present something
unexpected to the caller.
Oddly an acceptable solution would be to just return 127.0.0.1 and be
done with it. But no-one
knew what to do so the easiest thing was to flip it off.