[Vm-dev] [Cog] I want to be able to configure the executable name

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Fri Feb 22 23:54:30 UTC 2013

I'm (slowly) setting up the hosting infrastructure for the Squeak
community and I'm trying to utilize somewhat more standard procedures
and generally make things more easily repeatable where possible.

One aspect of this is when installing software from source to use
checkinstall to automatically create and install something that at least
resembles a proper package for the given distribution (Debian in this case).

It is useful on the community server(s) to have multiple versions of the
Squeak VM installed so that if a particular image works better with a
given VM, then it is available and easy to use.

To make a long story short I would like to be able to, preferably at the
configure step I think, to be able to specify an alternate name for the
installed Cog squeak executable so that there is no clash with the
classic Squeak Unix VM.

Taking a quick look around it looks like there is an assumption in many
places in the Cog Unix configuration that the executable is named
Squeak.  I'm willing to do some work to produce my desired change but I
would appreciate any pointers to where I might start.  Perhaps I'm
mistaken but it looks to me like platforms/unix/config/ in SVN is a
combination of source and generated files.  If I'm not mistaken about
that, some guidance in which files are properly source files and which
are not along with how to regenerate the generated files would be
greatly appreciated.

Also, is there any reason such a change would not be welcome in the
canonical source?

Thanks,

Ken

P.S. It occurs to me that I may be mistaken in thinking that only the
executable (link?) in $prefix/bin/ is going to result in a crash and
that the plugins and so on are installed in directories distinct from
those used by the classic UNIX vm.  Is the problem more widespread than
I think?  Should I just give up on having them both in /usr/local/?