[Vm-dev] Stack VMs with primitives for AndreasSystemProfiler?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Feb 27 14:33:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 08:19:20AM -0300, Juan Vuletich (mail lists) wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> In Cuis 4.1 (
> https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis/blob/master/Cuis4WithLatestUpdates/Cuis4.1-1619.zip?raw=true ) I included AndreasSystemProfiler. But sometimes it is good to use a StackVM for profiling, to avoid Cog inlining and get results that are easier to
> follow.
>
> The Mac and Windows VMs referenced from squeakVM.org don't include the
> required primitives. The only VMs with those primitives I found are
> CogVMs from Eliot's site.

Thanks,

I just added a mantis issue for this:

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7746

Eliot, can you give me a quick pointer to the primitives in Cog that need
to be added to the interpreter VM? Thanks.

> Does anybody know if there are plans to add those primitives to StackVMs?

A terminology note, this issue is for the interpreter VM. The stack VM is
part of Cog, and I expect that a stack VM will already contain the necessary
primitives (though I did not check).

Dave