[Vm-dev] Compiling Newspeak Cog VM on Ubuntu 12.10 64bit

Philipp Tessenow philipp at tessenow.org
Thu Mar 14 12:35:16 UTC 2013

Hi,

I promised to come back when things change for my compilation issues.
Things changed - I can build and run a newspeak Cog VM now - on an up to
date Ubuntu 64bit system.

As a reference I uploaded 'instructions' and an adapted mvm script here:
https://gist.github.com/tessi/5160523

BTW: When compiling the VM with -O2 optimization and -fno-caller-saves,
the VM got stuck on startup with 100% CPU utilization. Using -O1 worked.
gcc --version says: "gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.7.2-2ubuntu1) 4.7.2".
We might want to change the mvm script to use -O1 not only on gcc
version 3.4, but gcc > 4.x too, if others can reproduce this behavior.
See:
http://smallissimo.blogspot.de/2013/02/compiling-squeak-cog-virtual-machine-on.html

cheers,
Philipp

On 02/26/2013 09:16 AM, Philipp Tessenow wrote:
> Thanks Eliot, and Phil for your pointers. I'll try to compile the VM on
> a clean 32bit Ubuntu next - maybe it's my 64bit system (and the 32/64bit
> library mix) that causes problems. I'll report back, when there is
progress.

> To answer Eliots question to the vm-dev readers too, I'll cite Gilad
> from its post in the newspeak mailing list:
>
>> Philipp is working on a thesis on secure mirrors using Newspeak. As
>> part of that, one would like to enforce access control at the VM
>> level as has long been prophesied. Otherwise the secure mirror API
>> would avail one little.
>
> --
> best,
> Philipp
>
> On 02/25/2013 07:03 PM, phil at highoctane.be wrote:
>>
>> I don't know about that VM but I got the PharoVM run on debian 6 amd64
>> yesterday.
>>
>> Some of my findings and apt-gets + ln -s in there:
>>
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.pharo.devel/75198
>>
>> Phil
>>
>> 2013/2/25 Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi Philip,
>>>
>>> yes, those undefined warnings are the things to attack. Things like
>>>
>>> warning: undefined reference to `xcb_get_file_descriptor'
>>> /lib32/libpthread.so.0: warning: undefined reference to
>>> `_dl_deallocate_tls at GLIBC_PRIVATE'
>>> /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.7/../../../i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so:
>>> warning: undefined reference to `xcb_connect'
>>>
>>> I think indicate that both the 32-bit xcb library is wrong or not
installed, and perhaps that the 32-bit C library is wrong
(_dl_deallocate_tls at GLIBC_PRIVATE). Unfortunately how to fix this, e.g.
by installing the right libraries is not something I can help with; I
only have a 32-bit VM to experiment with.

>>> One thing that might get you going is to use vm-display-X11 from my
site, e.g. from
http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2693/nsvmlinux-13.07.2692.tgz.

>>> By the way, why are you compiling your own VM instead of using one
from my site? Sounds interesting!!