[Vm-dev] Docs about building the interpreter, etc.

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Mar 28 12:24:32 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 03:47:02AM -0700, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> Okay, so now that I have a working release VM built, and I know that my
> build environment is sane-ish (thanks Derek!) I'd like to checkout the
> bleeding edge and then VMMaker my way through.
>
> I'm looking at this: http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/devel.html
>
> Is that the best starting point right now? Anything else I should be
> reading before I get started?

Yes, those instructions are valid. References to specific versions are going
to be out of date though. Just use the latest versions of everything and all
should be well.

You might also be interested in the script that I put together to do this
on our build.squeak.org server. This just automates the instructions on
squeakvm.org, but it's entertaining to watch it run.  Edit the one line
marked with "<== EDIT THIS", then file it in to a fresh image.

  http://build.squeak.org/job/InterpreterVM/ws/VMUnixBuild.st

I'll note that this script will build both the VM for 64-bit images and
the normal VM (in ./build and ./build64). You can install both of these
on your Raspberry Pi (the /usr/local/bin/squeak script will figure out
which executable to use). I would be interested to hear if the 64-bit
image works on the Pi. I expect it may be slow, but it should be useable.
You may be able to claim bragging rights in the coveted "largest image
on smallest hardware" category ;-)

You can get an image here:

  http://build.squeak.org/job/Squeak%2064-bit%20image/

Have fun!